Tim began his hydroponic career at the age of 18 in Palm Harbor, FL with American Hydroponics (1957). This was the first company to introduce Hydroponics using Perlite in plastic growing containers. This was also the first hydroponic system to use the Ebb and Flow re-circulating nutrients for growing tomatoes commercially.
He attended Colorado State University from 1965-1967 and obtained a degree in Applied Chemistry with minors in horticulture and business.
From 1967-1972 he was the Chemistry Laboratory Manager for Holly Sugar and in charge of 7 factory labs in 7 different states through out the Western U.S. In 1970 Tim formed Chem-Gro Fertilizer Company to supply western growers with custom blended soluble hydroponic nutrients.
In 1972 he installed the first large hydroponic farm in Colorado Springs, CO under the name Hydro-Gardens, Inc., which he sold in 1996 to form the new vertical growing company, Verti-Gro, Inc.
Verti-Gro was the first company to introduce vertical growing in insulated stackable pots. Verti-Gro has a patent pending in 284 PCT countries. Verti-Gro became a partner at EPCOT in 1996 and is still a partner after more than 19 years. Epcot has consistently displayed Verti-Gro systems since 1996 and has recently expanded the current Verti-Gro display.
Verti-Gro operates a Research, Training and Demonstration Center in Summerfield and has commercial systems in over 25 countries.
Verti-Gro has been a partner with the University of Florida at the UFNFREC in Live Oak, FL for 19 years and presently with the Ag Extension Center in Hastings, FL.
Tim is on the Advisory Committee at the University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Services and the Advisory Board at the College of Central Florida for the Agri-business program.
Here are some of Tim's accomplishments:
- President of the Western Greenhouse Vegetable Growers Association and the American Greenhouse Vegetable Growers Association for 10 years during the 1980’s.
- Board of Directors for the National Greenhouse Vegetable Growers Association and the American Society of Plasticulture for 5 years.
- Member of the Florida Farm Bureau for over 12 years.
- Member NC Strawberry Growers Association
- Member FL Strawberry Growers Association
- Member National Strawberry Growers Association.
- Member NC Vegetable Growers Association
- Member Fresh From Florida (USDA)